RFQ: Concourse Suspended Artwork at Pittsburgh International Airport: (Due: Sep. 30)
The Allegheny County Airport Authority (ACAA) is soliciting qualifications from individual artists or artist teams, to provide artwork for installation at Pittsburgh International Airport. This initiative is part of the Art in the Airport program; which aims to enhance the experience of the facilities for visitors and staff, by presenting visual art, performing art, and public art of the highest quality. Temporary and diverse programming will attract attention and investment from repeat business and leisure travelers, as well as local visitors and employees. A selection panel comprised of Art in the Airport Advisory Committee members will select one artist or artist team, to produce a suspended artwork, which will hang in Concourse A at Pittsburgh International Airport. The selected project will be given a period of four (4) years, to exhibit said work.
As the gateway to the region, the Pittsburgh International Airport Art in the Airport program aims to deliver a unique experience with this project. The artwork will be suspended within the vaulted ceilings, above the moving walkways, in Concourse A. This suspended artwork should be visually stunning, while also inducing a sense of calmness. Once selected by the panel, the individual artist or artist team will submit a series of potential designs, and will proceed to work the ACAA Arts and Culture Manager, to refine which design will be integrated into the space.
The anticipated schedule represents ACAA’s best estimate of the schedule that will be followed in selecting artwork for the aforementioned spaces. The length of each exhibition term is estimated to be three months long, including the installation and de-installation of artwork.
• ACAA Issues RFQ: 08/29/2019 • Deadline for Receipt of Requests for Proposals: 09/30/2019 at 4:00 p.m. EDT • Panel Selection Completed and Projects Notified: 10/11/2019
• Contract Period Completed: 10/25/2019 • Design and Revisions Period: 11/20/2019
• Installation Completed By: 2/7/2020
Eligibility and Qualifications:
This opportunity is open to professional artists based in the United States of America.
Artists must have completed at least one public art project, working with engineers.
Artists who have experience with suspended artwork are encouraged to apply.
Artist teams are welcome to apply. Teams must have at least one visual artist to qualify.
Allegheny County Airport Authority staff, board members, and Art in the Airport Advisory Committee Members are not eligible to apply. Immediate family members of Allegheny County Airport Authority staff, board members, and Art in the Airport Advisory Committee Members are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply:
Please apply with the following online at https://flypittsburgh.submittable.com/submit/146985/concourse-suspended-artwork-rfq:
● A statement of interest regarding the display of artwork in an airport environment, which also illustrates the interest in supporting the Art in the Airport program;
● Demonstrated experience to perform an installation in the public realm;
● A statement regarding the availability of work or the ability to produce a site-specific installation; and
● The name, title, address, email address and phone number for a reference. This would preferably be the owner or director of an arts facility, who is familiar with Proposer's role and work.
● Five to ten (5-10) images of previous and representative artwork.
● A resume or CV. Artists/Artist Teams are responsible for travel and insurance of artwork to and from the installation. Airport staff will be on site to assist during the installation. Insurance will be required for the duration of installation. Pittsburgh International Airport reserves the right to make final decisions regarding all artwork displays.
Each proposal will be evaluated by a selection committee comprised of Art in the Airport Advisory Committee members, and will be reviewed for responsiveness to:
a) Quality of work presented in the images; with indication of the ability to install high-caliber, world-class artwork that is both unique and calming;
b) Responsiveness to the statement of interest
c) Previous experience with the installation of artwork in the public realm.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Award and Contract
After the committee has reviewed qualifications and selects the awardee, the contract negotiation process will commence. The ACAA Arts and Culture Manager will work with the selected artist or artist team, to complete the design process, and navigate installation planning. The awarded artist or artist team will receive a total of $35,000 for the four (4) year loan. This fee will be all-inclusive to cover the artist stipend, materials and supplies, and any installation fees beyond what the airport team is able to provide. ACAA will provide photo documentation of the artwork